MORE ABOUT ME

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

WHEW! TORONTO OUTDOOR ART EXHIBITION

Every year, most Toronto based artists apply to the Toronto Outdoor Art Exhibition [TOAE]. "Now in its 49th year, the TOAE is a juried showcase featuring contemporary fine art and craft that takes place on Nathan Phillips Square every July. As the largest outdoor art exhibition in Canada, the TOAE offers a fresh-air alternative to conventional art shows and galleries.  More than 500 artists participate and an estimated 100,000 visitors attend the exhibition every year.  Side by side, established artists, undiscovered talents and innovative students sell their work directly to the public and make lasting connections with art dealers and collectors." 
As a juried exhibition, there are only 500 spaces for the over 1000 artists that apply each year. So here is the process. You put in an application of your 10 best works with a cheque for 300 bucks, and then you wait to get the jury results. And then you wait some more. Eventually, you get a notice in the mail that tells you that you are accepted to the T.O.A.E. or breaks your spirit not so much. It is a horribly stressful wait! The thing is, it makes even the most secure artist, feel a bit insecure. "Am I going to be chosen - deemed worth it.......or am I not good enough???" YUCK! I have been super fortunate that I have been juried in 5 of the 7 years that I have applied. It is part luck, and hopefully partly because of the quality of the work. Honestly, the two years I was denied, I had a wierd feeling......a feeling of impending rejection. Fortunately, I was accepted this year for the 2010 Exhibition. UNFORTUNATELY, they are in the middle of the 'beautification' project at Nathan Phillips Square.....So it could be a huge disruption to the show......I look forward to giving you all the info as it transpires! until then, I am happy know ing that I am part of the chosen few this year....and I can begon to forget about last years rejection!

No comments:

Post a Comment