MORE ABOUT ME

Monday, November 29, 2010

THE ARTIST PROJECT 2011: PART ONE (THE PLAN)

Hello friends.
Well, my commissions will be done this week. Great, but a bit scary. Having guaranteed income is always a good thing......and is a great motivator. Truthfully, around this time, I tend to slack off a bit.
But here is the thing.....I REALLY can't afford to. I need to push through the laziness and make some serious headway for the 2011 season. Not as easy as it sounds.......not whilst Google calls to me.....and the Christmas decorations need to get up.
So, the big item in 2011 is The Artist Project.
For those of you who do not know what it is.....SHAAAAAAAME.
Here is how it is described on their site:



The Artist Project is a meeting ground for artists, collectors, and art enthusiasts. View and purchase original Canadian and International art from over 200 juried contemporary artists and enjoy an eclectic program of talks, special features, and art installations. Whether you are a first time buyer or seasoned collector, this four day art fair is a rare opportunity to meet and purchase directly from independent artists. Now in its fourth year, The Artist Project returns to the Queen Elizabeth Building at Toronto’s Exhibition Place.
March 3 – 6, 2011
Queen Elizabeth Building, Exhibition Place
Thursday, March 3      7PM – 10PM (Opening Night Preview Party)
Friday, March 4           12AM – 9PM
Saturday, March 5       11AM – 9PM
Sunday, March 6         11AM – 6PM
Show Location
Queen Elizabeth Building
180 Princes’ Boulevard, Exhibition Place
Toronto, Ontario


This will be my FOURTH year doing this show, and it is a really nice (albeit pricey) show.
Basically, you pay to rent walls and space for the 4 days.
The wall rental is GREAT because it keeps all the booths looking very clean and gallery-like.
Some of the other art-fairs do not have this, and they tend to look sloppy.
So, my booth is 10 feet x 10 feet, which means I have three 10 foot walls that are 8 feet tall.
The first thing I do to get ready is do a mock up of my booth.
I thrive with organization, it is sad really.
Many artists just create a bunch of work and bring all the art and figure it out on site - on the opening day.
I AM TOTALLY NOT THAT GUY!! It stresses me out. I need to have a plan, and then I work towards finishing the work to complete the plan.
**Insert type-A personality joke here.
So, here is what my plan looks like:


So, the green squares are works that I need to complete by March.
There are 7 brand new big paintings....some are landscape-y and some are robot-y,
I also have 7 mixed media pieces.
I like to mix it up, so that people can get a real overview of what I am about.
As you can see, I have a number of older works.
I have included a bunch of my small and affordable mixed media pieces that were left from this past summer. I also have a few pieces left over from my Arcade Exhibition this past summer.
As a rule, I like to have all brand new works,  but I have only shown these works once.........
So I think it still acceptable to show them again.
Once I have this plan, I go buy all my materials and start my drawings asap.
I will report back when things begin to get completed.........so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment