MORE ABOUT ME

Friday, June 28, 2013

TOAE COUNTDOWN - AND CANNIBALIZATION!!!!!!!!

Hey.....have I mentioned my upcoming show in Nathan Phillips Square (City Hall, Toronto)???
I am sure I have?!
Don't you remember this?
GRRR......GIANT ROB TAKE OVER SQUARE ....ROB SELL ARRRT.....
Here is the post that has all the deets AGAIN!
So....to get ready, I have been painting my arse off.
Here is a BRAND NEW PIECE - that is great......let me tell you a story about it:
PICTURE IT.
IT's 2011, and I am looking to challenge myself by doing 'pin-up' related work for my "Auto Fixation" show. I take a bunch of time, and suggestions from the gallery that is showing my work..and create this:
"Fast Enough", 36" x 48", Acrylic on Canvas
Read my post about this painting HERE.
A year later in 2012, I thought I would like to repaint it.
WHY?
Read why - and HOW HERE.
This time, it was for my "Town and Country" Exhibition......
"Hoedown",  36" x 48", Acrylic on Canvas
At the time, I was pleased by the renovation of this piece.
Then a year passed. And let me be frank. If any piece lasts around the studio for more than a year, I know that it may not find a home! HOW DO I KNOW?
Well, generally, things just don't last that long. 
That is NOT bragging!! HONESTLY!
I am very fortunate to have some great collectors out there, and I am CONSTANTLY working on showing creating and selling my work!
So I did what I always do....I sacrificed the painting for something new.
TWO somethings new.....(and maybe a third - LATER)
I did the unthinkable - and cut up the canvas!
(Insert GASPS here!)
Here are the results:
"We Tend To Build", 18" x 36", Acrylic on Canvas and Board.
So, as you can see I took HALF the landscape part from "HOEDOWN" and I pasted it into this new size - to give it a new life.
With new life - comes new intention!
I also created and painted some poster inspired art.....'we can build' and 'tend your garden'.
I also added this quote from Mondrian "Good things just have to grow very slowly."
I like what this says about East Toronto.
As an east-ender myself, I like that we have taken a little longer to 'gentrify' and have been able to keep out the big boxes and  all the condos....
I premiered this piece at The Riverdale Art Walk almost a month ago!
So...then this month, I reworked more of the pieces from 'Hoe'....and came up with THIS:

"Escape", 36" x 18", Acrylic on Canvas and Board (and Mixed media).
Now....as you can see this is the other half of the landscape.
This time, it didn't quite fit the frame of the 36 x 18...so I added some mixed media elements
(the street signpost is a painted dowel with balsa board signs)
AGAIN, I changed the intention of the piece.
"The trouble with our age is that it is all signposts and no destination" - Louis Kronenberger
is the quote that is painted on a faux restaurant bill.
The poster I created simply says "Escape for a while".
and the background I created with lots of little vintage travel icons.
There is also a baggage tag.
I am REALLY happy with this one. I think it really works.
Actually - I feel like they BOTH work really well!!!
I know what you are thinking.....but what of the pretty lady??
Well....currently she is above my easel......watching over me, just waiting for her day of repurposing to come!!
So....come out and see BOTH of these great new pieces NEXT WEEKEND at TOAE!!
Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West
July 5: 10:30 am- 7:30 pm
July 6: 10:30 am- 7:30 pm
July 7: 10:30 am- 6:30 pm
BOOTH #12

No comments:

Post a Comment