MORE ABOUT ME

Friday, August 28, 2015

GREAT SUBWAY & STREETCAR MUSEUMS.....

Hey everyone!
This post is for my train nerds.......I KNOW you are out there!
I wanna recall 2 trips to TWO different museums......in the order I saw them.....
FIRST.....
The New York Transit Museum 
YOU MUST GO HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I loved it, it was informative, and honestly, we spent like 3 hours looking at stuff!
A very enjoyable museum!
(Great for kids too -- he says speaking as a childless adult! :-)
I dont't wanna ruin it for you......so here are a small selection of photos I took......
Yup....it is in an old Subway stop!
HOW AWESOME IS THAT?

There are lots of great artifacts to look at!
This one would look great in my house.....but didn't fit in my suitcase!

CAN YOU GO WRONG WITH MODELS??
CAN YOU???????

There was a whole wing devoted to HOW THE H**L DID THEY DO THAT.....
(burrowing under the city and laying tracks!)
It was a lot of information - but I LOVED it!

Look at how fun this is!

This super gay ticket agent/hand model was there!

THE BEST PART - GOING DOWN TO THE ACTUAL TRACK LEVEL!!
O
M
G!!!
On the platform (lower) level, two fully powered operational subway tracks contain many historic examples of New York City Subway and Elevated railway equipment as a permanent display. Preserved subway cars, most of which can still be run, date as far back as the predecessor companies that came before the New York City Transit Authority! (That means at least one is 100 years old!!!)

Look - leather straps!
STUNNING!

I took 100's of photos......of the art deco styled -1960's styled cars.....
I WANT TO SHOW YOU......but I won't!
YOU GOTTA GO!

COME ON!!!!!!

Many of the old subway cars have fans!!!!
Imagine how this would go wrong with today's subway travellers?
(because people are stupid.... ;-)

Beep beep! HEY! Toot toot!


Even the many examples of the turnstiles was VERY NEAT!
From a design point - there is a TONNE of stuff that is eye candy!
Here is how to get there:



http://web.mta.info/mta/museum/
Oh.....they also have a FANTASTIC gift shop......where I bought these:

ADORBS!


GO THERE!!!!
If you can't make it to Brooklyn this year, maybe you can make it to The Halton County Radial Railway Museum - Yes......it is a mouthful......but it is also pretty cool!


The Halton County Radial Railway and the OERHA was formed in 1954 by a group of men who wanted to save Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) streetcar 1326 from being sent to the scrap yard. After the donation of this streetcar, the dream grew. Land that used to be a part of the Toronto Suburban Railway in Nassagaweya Township was acquired, and subsequently, a number of other street and radial cars were eventually rescued. The museum's grand opening to the public took place in 1972.
Since the beginning, the vision of the HCRR was to inform, educate and inspire the public about the electric railway history of Ontario and Canada. Today, the museum displays and operates a variety of historic streetcars, radial cars and work cars, and maintains a collection of photographs, memorabilia and archival materials. The oldest rail car in the collection dates from the late 1800s.

We took a trip there a month ago. 
It was FUN! 
Truthfully, it did NOT have the breadth of stuff that the MTA Transit Museum had.....
But, it is also NOT run by the city or the TTC.....so they survive on grants and admissions to grow!
What they DID have was an opportunity to ride in style in an old streetcar!!!!
You sure can't do THAT in Brooklyn! ;-)
I took photos.....I will share some.....not all......I took a LOT (again)....


(I am not gonna show you those here! So there ;-)

Cool old train station!

The train barn was FULL!!!!!

Remember this guy??
(I LOVE IT!)

A few photos....

NIIIICE!

Some really nice touches!!

Riding the rails!!!!!!

These two nerds are on this: 

...yup.....a beautifully restored 1921 Peter Witt streetcar!!
A NICE DAY TRIP!!!!
There were also lots of buses and such too!!!
You need to make a trip out of the city:


HERE ARE THE DIRECTIONS:


So there you go guys!
Two "train themed" trips for you and your nerdy loved ones!
I hope you enjoyed hearing about my little trip - and I hope you consider seeing these museums!!
Later gaters!



No comments:

Post a Comment